[Samba] Samba 3.3.4 very slow file access times

John Goubeaux goubeaux at education.ucsb.edu
Wed Oct 21 18:17:27 MDT 2009

At 5:10 PM -0700 10/21/09, Jeremy Allison wrote:
>On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 11:28:49AM -0700, John Goubeaux wrote:
>>  Can anyone shed any light ( or offer dome diagnosing tips) on why I am
>>  seeing a considerable time delay in opening and writing back to excel
>>  files on  a Samba 3.3.4 build  where as the same file on an earlier build
>>  (2.2.8.a)  does not exhibit the same latency ???    - 11 seconds as
>>  opposed to 3 seconds.    The problem does not seem to be as pronounced
>>  with other file types though it is still slower.
>>
>>  This problem has been plaguing me since I upgraded samba to a new host
>>  and went production on it and  NOW I am receiving a barrage of
>>  complaints from admin staff with the "why did you break it" ? underscore
>>  !!
>>
>>  At this point I have ruled out the obvious. Hosts running the builds are
>>  on same network, storage is faster on the new build, same ver of excel,
>>  same file (7mb) accessed from same machine. Newer build is running on
>>  substantially faster hardware, and storage BUT  is authing against an
>>  ldap backend as opposed to /etc/passwd
>
>Changed version of the kernel ? You might want to get debug level
>10 logs from the old and new versions and compare where things
>start being different.
>
>Jeremy

Yes, completely different OS's eg   Solaris 8 Sparc and Solaris 10 x86.

Which log file(s) would I want to grab that info out of ? Samba logs
to a variety of logfiles and is verbose when set at 10. If I can
isolate this specific large .xls file access in the logs this might
be a start?

I was hoping that there was some obvious setting  OR difference
between the two versions of Samba that I missed AND am wondering if
others are seeing this behavior, with say MS Office apps on this ver
of Samba ?

-john

--
John Goubeaux