[Samba] zfs acls and MS office applications

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 07:30:16 MDT 2009

I ran into the following two related problems with samba 3.0.xx and
Solaris 10 and ZFS

1.  With Word, Excel or PowerPoint 2003 you could save the document
maybe 4 times but on the 5th time you wouldn't be able to save the file
-  or worse it would disappear.

The issue seemed to be that for the first 4 saves, the MS App would
merely modify the document.  But with the 5th save it writes the
document out in full to a new file and deletes the old.    Also, rather
than allowing the new file to just inherit file permissions, the app
will explicitly set the ACE's.   Visual Studio does this as well.

ZFS inheritance is ignored if Windows inheritance is used.

2.  On unix level, you might "chmod 770 somefile" to allow anyone in the
group to access the file.     "Other" is not explicitly permitted but
not explictly denied.   So the in effect "everyone else" does not have
access.

But in Windows, this "other is not explicitly" permitted can be
interpreted as "everyone is explicitly denied."    Something similar can
happen with group perms.   Although supposedly the correct ACE ordering
shd have avoided this.

Nt.

I used the samba packages bundled with Solaris.   They have the zfs
module backported from newer samba versions.  If I compiled Samba 3.0.x
from scratch I did not get zfs support and the winbind functionality was
broken.

However, Sun doesn't do a great job of documenting any of this.