[Samba] 2 questions: Linux filesystems that truly compare to NTFS / winbind causes Linux to lockup when connectivity to AD is lost

Clayton Hill admin at ateamonsite.com
Mon Oct 19 13:28:41 MDT 2009

I read this article:

http://www.tuxera.com/community/ntfs-3g-advanced/extended-attributes/

It clearly tells that NTFS ACLs are not really respected. How would they
do that anyways? by using winbind/samba? That was a wee bit of sarcasm
there..
My aim is to have a AD joined NAS with samba and IDMAPS in the backend
working to translate and use NTFS security on a Linux based FS in a way
that is transparent to Windows MCSE type sys admins using robocopy or
any other utility that preserves NTFS ACLs for samba to evaluate when a
share is accessed. ;-)

In NTFS 3G  - POSIX ACLs are dominant to the point that AD ACLs are
mangled.. or omitted or worse. Doesn't please windows admins much to
lose ACLs and have mangled ACEs when porting their ACLed data to a *nix
filesystem..  simply tacking on "everyone" permissions and overriding
NTFS security standards so you can RW a NTFS filesytem is fine for a
dual booting hobbyist home user, or computer lab at a school wanting to
access their windows stuff on their other drive while they play with
Linux, but is not acceptable as a business solution in a business class
AD windows environment where NTFS FS permission is king.

I think Jeremy's answer was correct - there is not a solution to this
problem short of changing POSIX permissions to behave like NTFS, (
rewriting an OS LOL ) making NTFS and SIDS native to Linux, ( double LOL
) or IMPROVING XFS to support bigger space in FS for EAs and have the
ability to assign near unlimited ( NOT 25 ) ACLs better, and to separate
the space the ACLs and EAs reside in inside the filesystem instead of
having them kludged together as an afterthought.

I am still going to try EXT4 but unfortunately I have another
unmentioned requirement - MacOS resource forks need to be honored - this
is done with XFS only AFAIK

Thanks,
-Clayton