[Samba] winbind causes Linux to lockup when connectivity to AD is lost (subject line edited for clarity)

Clayton Hill admin at ateamonsite.com
Mon Oct 19 11:20:00 MDT 2009

Hi Matthew,

/>I don't have the time to setup an environment to match yours, but I did take the time to go back to your initial post and read through your >smb.conf./

Understandable, but that is not going to be of much help if you don't have a way to reproduce this issue.. and I'll be answering too many basic questions. ;-)

/> 1. http://samba.org/samba/docs/man/manpages-3/winbindd.8.html - Did you check your winbind config to make sure you are not running it with a "-n" ?
/>

Yes. I am using the default init script to start and stop winbind. Remember I am using suse 11.0 x86_64
BUT I have tested this without -n which is a totally useless way to run winbind and ironically should be far worse usability-wise than this scenario - but isn't.

> 2. http://samba.org/samba/docs/man/manpages-3/smb.conf.5.html - Have you tried playing with the "winbind cache time", "winbind offline logon", "winbind reconnect delay" and "idmap cache time" settings?

I will reread those options in the man page, but.... what do you recommend here? Feels like a shot in the dark, and a lengthy way to randomly test this. IE: This test renders a samba machine useless every time it is ran... so very long, slow, shots in the dark here.
_Need some experienced expert advice here on which options are best to modify and why._

/> 3. Have you tried increasing the log level and enabling winbind debug and creating an artificial outage and then review the logs?/

Yes - I will give you a snippet of log level 2 though during a "fake AD outage" in a bit. I doubt it will be useful but I'll try it.

/> Again, what kind of troubleshooting have you done and what are the results?/

Please- try and reproduce this issue. It will become quite obvious to you after that.

Thanks,
-Clayton