[Samba] Samba PDC upgrade / hardware replacement results

Michael Lueck mlueck at lueckdatasystems.com
Sat Oct 17 06:34:21 MDT 2009

Greetings-

I am very pleased to report that the Samba upgrade went very well! The old server was running Debian Sarge w/ Samba 3.0.26a-1 and the new server is built on Ubuntu Server 9.04 and official Ubuntu
builds of Samba packages.

The Samba server started right up with the exact smb.conf from the old server. Impressive that with all of the work done by the Samba team, not even a warning or note of deprecated something in the
configuration! :-)

Thank you specifically to John, Eero, Zoolook, and Harry for replies regarding moving the Windows machine accounts to the new server! :-)

We use XFS filesystem, thus xfsdump / xfsrestore. All permissions / ownership survived beautifully.

Shortly I am thinking to power down the old server... One last check, "sniff sniff" for all of the memories of the old box.

Thanks once again!

--
Michael Lueck
Lueck Data Systems