[Samba] Does the BDC need to "join" a domain?

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 06:51:28 MDT 2009

I initially had my unix accounts in NIS (or /etc/passwd) with samba
accounts stored in tdbsam.   My 2nd server was configured as a member I
moved the unix accounts to ldap and then eventually moved the samba
stuff to ldap so that I could then start configuring a BDC.    My setup
is probably not as clean as it would have been if I had started out in LDAP.

I changed the local domainsid for the BDC to the same as the domainsid,
which seems to have fixed error messages in the log about it not being
able to map DOMAIN/someuser to any unix account.

Also, when I run "net rpc trustdom list -U Administrator" on the BDC, I
know see the same listed of trusted domains that I see on the PDC.  This
was not the case before changing the domainsid for BDC.

When I migrated to ldap, the existing net group mappings where
automatically imported into ldap under ou=smb_groups.   Altho samba does
reread the smb.conf file automatically to check for network shares, you
do need to restart samba when make changes to account backends.

The "net groupmap add" command doesn't work anymore-  which is actually
OK since I can just create an entry in ldap using one of the existing
entries as a template.   (I use Apache Directory Studio to manage the
ldap data.)     I am not sure that I really need memberuid entries since
the group membership should be enforced in the ldap unix groups.    I
think what I may need to do is consolidate the unix groups (ou=groups)
and samba group mappings (ou=smb_groups) into a single ou.  And instread
of adding a new entry for each group mapping may be just add the
appropriate attributes to the existing group entry.  Otherwise some
users may end up appearing to be in two groups when they should be in
one.  Although this may not work for groups where the Windows name and
unix name differ (e.g. "Human Resources" vs "hr.")  I only need the
group mappings for required groups like Domain Admins and Domain
Controllers  anyway.

The netdom command on a Windows machine  (from the Win2003 support tools
pack) should show me the domain controllers.  However, it can only find
the PDC.

  NETDOM QUERY /D:MYDOMAIN  PDC
     Finds mypdc

  NETDOM QUERY /D:MYDOMAIN  DC
     The RPC server is available

Not sure if this actually means anything.

Thanks