[Samba] Is it EVER needed to set up kerberos manually if you use samba to join an ADS domain as a domain member?

Robert LeBlanc robert at leblancnet.us
Wed Oct 14 21:54:11 MDT 2009

I beleive that if you are using msDNS in some fashion (as your DNS or
delegated domain) or have something like Bind updated with the SVR records
for the AD domain, then there is little configuration needed in krb5.conf as
the libraries will query DNS for a KDC. If your DNS is not set-up with the
SVR records then you will need to enter the domain and KDC information in
krb5.conf. We have a delegated AD domain from Bind and I used to enter all
the info in krb5.conf, I then started taking stuff out until I got to an
empty krb5.conf file and it still worked. Our krb5.conf does have a few
lines for options that we override the defaults, but they are not needed.

Robert LeBlanc
Life Sciences & Undergraduate Education Computer Support
Brigham Young University