[Samba] Does the BDC need to "join" a domain?

Mariano Absatz el.baby at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 14:57:18 MDT 2009

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 13:36, Gaiseric Vandal
<gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com> wrote:

> I supposed it depends if Samba is configured to automatically create the underlying unix accounts when you create samba accounts.  My setup doesn't.  I created a "user"  account in ldap for my BDC.   (the unix passwd shd be *LK* and the shell shd be /bin/false)   Running "net rpc join" will then add the appropriate samba attributes.
> (...)

Thanx Gaiseric,

it was more or less the way you said... only changing the order:
1) BDC# net join -S PDC -UAdministrator
(since I'm using ldapsam:editposix = yes, the posix account is created
automatically by samba)
2) BDC# net rpc getsid
(this automatically retrieves the domain SID from the PDC and stores
it into secrets.tdb)

The only thing that doesn't seem completely right is that after this, if I run
BDC# net getdomainsid
I get: "Could not fetch local SID"

However, if I run
BDC# sudo net getlocalsid MYDOMAIN
I get the correct SID for the domain... maybe I must generate a local
SID for the BDC? or something went wrong?...

--
Mariano Absatz - El Baby
www.clueless.com.ar