[Samba] 2 questions: Linux filesystems that truly compare to NTFS / winbind causes Linux to lockup when connectivity to AD is lost

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Tue Oct 13 22:14:30 MDT 2009

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 08:10:56PM -0700, Clayton Hill wrote:
> Thank you for the info Jeremy
>
> I think I will try EXT4 and see if I have better results then - also I
> agree with you about streams - I just think some of my more foolish
> clients wont.
> Better just tell them "NO" firmly and then give them the example you
> gave - ;-)

Well I'm not saying we won't support streams in Samba,
we'll just have to do it by layering meta-data over
the filesystem. We already have 2 vfs modules that
implement this.

> Any workaround for the winbind problem I have? This to me is a very
> serious problem and all I can think of for a solution is of making a
> script that would ping the DC and if the connection to the DC was gone,
> to kill winbind, then if the DC is back, start winbind back up.
> IS this a good idea? It seems very very bad and hacky to me... I am
> hoping with all my fingers crossed that you have a better solution!

Sorry, didn't look too closely at your winbindd issue.
winbindd will cache all information to allow disconnected
operation (we made this work perfectly at SuSE), so there
certainly shouldn't be a problem with a loss of connection to a DC.

Jeremy.