[Samba] 2 questions: Linux filesystems that truly compare to NTFS / winbind causes Linux to lockup when connectivity to AD is lost

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Tue Oct 13 15:14:28 MDT 2009

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 06:21:07PM -0600, admin at ateamonsite.com wrote:

> First, XFS seems to work well for me until it was discovered it has a
> limited amount of ACLs that can be set in the file system, (25! ) and
> extended attribute support is kinda kludged in with the same space the ACLs
> take up??? which can lead to all sorts of issues when dealing with
> inheritance and the importing of ACLs/EAs etc from files stored on NTFS.
> Thus I feel that XFS is somewhat poor FS to mimic NTFS.
> My question:
> Is there any Linux file system out there that can compare accurately with
> NTFS? I want seemingly unlimited ACLs, EAs and stream support that can
> meet, if not exceed the capabilities of NTFS.
> This is basically a requirement that is a deal breaker for me???
> Am I asking too much? What file systems do you use? How do they compare to
> NTFS?

No, there is currently no Linux filesystem with the NTFS semantics.
I think ext4 might have larger EA support, but there is no Linux
filesystem I know of with unlimited EA's and ACL support.

No Linux filesystem supports streams that I know of. Streams
are a really bad idea. Ted Tso convinced me of this when he
showed me a Windows machine running README.txt as a
binary (containing a virus of course). Streams are pretty
dangerous and mostly used to hide malware from admins.

Jeremy.