[Samba] Unknown panic actions

Michael Wood esiotrot at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 02:08:31 MDT 2009

2009/10/11 Ralph Kutschera <news2008 at ecuapac.dyndns.org>:
> Michael Wood schrieb:
>>
>> Well, that's why I said you should perhaps try to figure out why it's
>> not there when the panic action runs :)
>>
>> Otherwise if you can get a core dump you can do this sort of thing:
>>
>> gdb /usr/sbin/smbd /path/to/core
>>
>> and then run the "bt" gdb command.
>
> Sorry, I never did this before. What is the "core"?

Basically when a process crashes on Unix from a segmentation fault (or
for a couple of other reasons) the operating system can take a
snapshot of the memory of the process and write it to a "core" file.
Whether the OS will actually do this is controlled by things like the
RLIMIT_CORE which can be set with "ulimit -c" and in the case of Linux
by some stuff in /proc.

See http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/docs/DOC-4897 for more details.

--
Michael Wood <esiotrot at gmail.com>