[Samba] idmap LDAP branch never populates with Samba 3.4.1 - how do I debug ?

Patrick Rynhart prynhart at gmail.com
Sun Oct 11 15:09:09 MDT 2009

Hi Miguel,

Thank you for your email.  I'm building Samba 3.4.1 on CentOS 5.3.

I agree that my syntax isn't quite right for Samba 3.4.X.  However,
looking into this matter further, I now believe that something deeper is
going wrong as I have noted the following the in logs:

Error trying to resolve symbol 'init_samba_module' in
/usr/lib/samba/idmap/ldap.so: /usr/lib/samba/idmap/ldap.so: undefined
symbol: init_samba_module

To that end:

strings /usr/lib/samba/idmap/ldap.so | grep init_samba_module

returns no result.

However, an init_samba_module entry point *is* defined for all of the
other idmap modules in this directory (i.e. adex.so, ad.so, hash.so,
ldap.so, rid.so, tdb2.so).  (i.e. if I run the above command for the
other modules then I get a result for the Samba entry point)

Looks like a broken ldap.so module :-/  Where to from here!?

Thanks & Regards,

Patrick