[Samba] Cross compiling - size of binaries is large

Kai Blin kai at samba.org
Sat Oct 10 15:23:02 MDT 2009

On Saturday 10 October 2009 19:22:19 theHog wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have cross compiled samba 3.3.8 for arm, which succeeded.
>
> However, the size of the resulting binaries is large (few MB's per binary)
> so the total installation of samba sums to over 50 megabytes, after
> stripping the binaries.

I've just started looking into Samba on ARM myself, and I can confirm that
binaries are a bit large.

> For example, with samba 2.0.10, the size of smbd was 281 KB. With samba
> 3.3.8 that is 5.2 MB. Same goes for the other binaries. It looks as if
> there is a chunk of code included in every binary instead of using shared
> libs.

Ouch, that's quite a drastic change. This might be due to linking objects into
the binary multiple times, I think we had a similar problem in the Samba4
build. Unfortunately, tracking this is non-trivial. Right now I don't have
any way to do that apart from looking at the Makefile for a long time. Thus,
I don't have a solution for this right now. Sorry.

If you happen to find a way to reduce the binary size, I'd be glad to hear
about it.

Cheers,
Kai
--