[Samba] TOSHAG-Winbind.xml translate finished and some bug found

John H Terpstra - Samba Team jht at samba.org
Thu Oct 8 07:33:05 MDT 2009

On 10/08/2009 03:01 AM, ITPFS oota wrote:
> Now, TOSHARG-VFS.xml translate to Japanese finished(3.4.0 base).
> And some bug found.

That is a bogus entry.  I removed it.

>                 Winbind maintains a database called winbind_idmap.tdb in which it stores
>                 mappings between UNIX UIDs, GIDs, and NT SIDs. This mapping is used only
>                 for users and groups that do not have a local UID/GID. It stores the UID/GID
>                 allocated from the idmap uid/gid range that it has mapped to the NT SID.
>

> 	  Users on the UNIX machine can then use NT user and group
>         names as they would <quote>native</quote> UNIX names. They can chown files
>         so they are owned by NT domain users or even login to the
>         UNIX machine and run a UNIX X-Window session as a domain user.</para>
>                                     --------
>                                     X Window System (See man X)

Not sure what to do with that.  I removed the '-', but the word session
seems appropriate, so I left it as it was.

>                              - typo?

Typo fixed. Thanks.

> If you have a Samba configuration file that you are currently using, <emphasis>BACK IT UP!</emphasis>
> </para>
>

> To allow domain users the ability to access Samba shares and files, as well as potentially other services
> provided by your Samba machine, PAM must be set up properly on your
> machine. In order to compile the Winbind modules, you should have at least the PAM development libraries installed
> on your system. Please refer to the PAM Web site <ulink url="http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/libs/pam/"/>.
>
> is this?

Yes. I do believe that to compile Samba with PAM support the pam
development libraries are needed.

> Please refer to the <ulink url="http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/libs/pam/"/>PAM Web site</ulink>.

Removed.

> <para>
> Again, if you would like to run Samba in dual daemon mode, replace:
>                                 -----winbindd?

Fixed. Thanks for finding that.

> <programlisting>
> /usr/local/samba/sbin/winbindd
> </programlisting>
> in the script above with:
> <programlisting>
> /usr/local/samba/sbin/winbindd -D
> </programlisting>
>

> The <filename>/etc/pam.d/ftp</filename> file can be changed to allow Winbind ftp access in a manner similar to
> the samba file. My <filename>/etc/pam.d/ftp</filename> file was changed to look like this:
>     ----- smb.conf?

Fixed. That word samba should have been:
	<filename>/etc/pam.d/samba</filename>

> <programlisting>
> auth       required     /lib/security/pam_listfile.so item=user sense=deny \
>          file=/etc/ftpusers onerr=succeed
>
> --
> --- Oota Toshiya ---  t-oota at dh.jp.nec.com
> NEC Systems Software Operations Unit      Shiba,Minato,Tokyo
> IT Platform Solutions Division            Japan,Earth,Solar system
> (samba-jp/ldap-jp Staff,mutt-j/samba-jp postmaster)

The changes were committed to the master GIT branch.

Cheers,
John T.