[Samba] Getting a Windows username from an SID with Samba/Winbind

Toby Newman samba at asktoby.com
Thu Oct 8 03:22:46 MDT 2009

I am running Linux in a corporate windows environment.

I need to convert user's Active Directory security identifiers (SIDs) to
usernames, for example S-1-5-21-484763869-1275210071-682003330-34567 to
mydomain\jbloggs.

There are a few Windows tools that do this like SIDDecode and SidToName,
but they don't work under wine.

I've been reading about Winbind and Samba and it seems it may be possible
to achieve this with those. Does anyone here know how?

Many thanks,
Toby Newman