[Samba] Samba Authentication with a windows password server

wispa oliver.sale at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 5 09:33:43 MDT 2009

Hi all,

I'm trying to set up Samba on a client's computer so that it authenticates
the users which are accessing it via a windows domain controller and
kerberos. I've been following various tutorials and it all seems to go
through correctly but when the client tries to access the shares, it doesn't
accept his credentials and won't get past the login window.

The only failure seems to be within the nmbd log which says this (I've
changed the domain name / IPs):

[2009/10/05 16:27:43,  0]
nmbd/nmbd_nameregister.c:register_name_response(129)
  register_name_response: server at IP 192.168.1.122 rejected our name
registration of DOMAIN<00> IP 192.168.1.120 with error code 6.
[2009/10/05 16:27:43,  0] nmbd/nmbd_mynames.c:my_name_register_failed(35)
  my_name_register_failed: Failed to register my name DOMAIN<00> on subnet
192.168.1.120.

Now the odd thing is that 192.168.1.120 is the samba machine but
192.168.1.120 is a proxy server and doesn't seem to be referenced anywhere.
Could this be a result of the windows machines not being set up correctly or
would this be something incorrectly set up on the linux machine?

I can't seem to figure it out.

Many thanks.

Oliver