[Samba] How to bulk add machine accounts during PDC hardware refresh?

Michael Lueck mlueck at lueckdatasystems.com
Mon Oct 5 10:45:30 MDT 2009

John Drescher wrote:
> I would not remove the old entries. If you are using ldap replicate
> the openldap first. If you are using tdbsam copy the /var/lib/samba
> folder.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that no LDAP or anything "fancy" is involved. So Samba has made entries in /etc/passwd and /etc/group, and that is what I am interested in moving properly.

"remove the old entries"... ??? I am trying to set up an identical PDC on new hardware.

I understand that uid/gid numbers must match, so thinking to use adduser to get them added, then edit the files to keep the numbers matching between the old/new PDC.

But then, what to do about those entries in those two files that are for workstations? Can I simply copy/paste from the files on the existing PDC the entries for the machine accounts?

Thanks,

--
Michael Lueck
Lueck Data Systems