[Samba] smbd Crash

Bruno MACADRE bruno.macadre at univ-rouen.fr
Mon Oct 5 08:42:00 MDT 2009

Volker Lendecke a écrit :
> On Fri, Oct 02, 2009 at 04:33:39PM +0200, Bruno MACADRE wrote:
>> Ok I will turn log to level 10 for the next restart of the server, when
>> this crash happening i will send you all the lines requested :)
>>
>> Another clue, the crash appear only for user who connect under linux (so
>> for user who mount their homes and shares in CIFS). Users using WinXP
>> Pro Workstations have no problem (while server don't crash of course ^^).
>
> Oh, that is indeed a very good hint. What cifs version are
> you running, and what apps?
>
> Volker

I've no more information about the crash evoked in my previous message,
but last mail of "Ralph Kutschera" (Unknown panic action) points my
reflexions about "Why my server seems to be hang when a panic action ??"

The answer is pretty simple, i've no "panic action" in my smb.conf, and
in the man i can read "Default: panic action =".

But if i type the following command :
# testparm -v | grep panic
I've got :
	panic action = /bin/sleep 999999999

I don't know why in samba 3.4.2 the new default for panic action is
/bin/sleep 999999999 but if i do a simple calcul, this means that my
server sleep during 31 years when a crash appears !!!!!!!!

31 years... it's long, so i'm going to activate a REAL panic action in
my smb.conf !!

This can't resolv neither my ldapsam problem (bug #6771) nor my smbd
crash when mounting some CIFS under linux (and even nor my problem of
broken compilation over CIFS share), but i think my would be more
efficient without sleeping 31 years !!

Regards,
Bruno.

--

Bruno MACADRE
 Ingénieur Systèmes et Réseau     | Systems and Network Engineer

	Tél : +33 (0)2-32-95-51-86
	Fax : +33 (0)2-32-95-51-87