[Samba] Desiring to set up Windows Vista and Linux Fedora Core 4

Gary Dale garydale at rogers.com
Sat Oct 3 09:24:45 MDT 2009

Barry L. Bond wrote:
> Greetings!
>
>      Tonight is unfortunately the first small bit of time I've had to even
> try to get Samba configured between my Vista and my Linux FC4.  (My mother
> as well as my extremely limited home time dealing with important things
> are my main delays.)
>
>      It's not going well.  :-)
>
>      I have added hosts allow with 192.168.1 and 192.168.2.  I have
> experimented with a few things.  I have looked at
> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=2556 and even read
> something about making the network communication in Vista be LM as well as
> NTLM...
>
>      Okay, let me ask one basic question at a time.
>
>      I "was thinking" that I didn't have to actually mount samba
> (smbmount) in the past, back years ago when I used it with VMWare and
> Windows 98.  (I was thinking that the smdb/nmdb daemons just did what was
> needed.)
>
>      I will be fine if I just am able to submit a print job from the
> Windows/Vista to the Linux HP9110 printer.  I will be fine if I just
> transfer any files, either direction, by accessing my host filesystem via
> Explorer in Windows.  (This is how I did it, years ago, with Windows 98 in
> VMWare.)
>
>      I am thinking that I do NOT need to add to /etc/fstab, or smbmount
> anything from the Linux side.  Do you agree?
>
>      Barry

I'd begin by upgrading to something more recent than Fedora Core 4. I
believe there are some issues that Vista introduced that required some
changes in Samba (I may be wrong on this, but I suspect upgrading to
something more recent is still a good idea). At the very least, see if
there is a backport for a more recent version of Samba to FC4.

It sounds like you are using FC4 as a file & print server. All you need
to do on it is share the resources (folders and printers) and set up the
permissions and accounts (if required).

You don't mention which version of Vista you are using, and I don't know
if they crippled certain versions like they did with XP to prevent them
from joining domains. However, if you can join Vista to a domain,
install and use SWAT to set up Samba as a domain controller and use it
to log in from Vista.