[Samba] Desiring to set up Windows Vista and Linux Fedora Core 4

Barry L. Bond bbond at cfl.rr.com
Fri Oct 2 22:53:04 MDT 2009

Greetings!

     Tonight is unfortunately the first small bit of time I've had to even
try to get Samba configured between my Vista and my Linux FC4.  (My mother
as well as my extremely limited home time dealing with important things
are my main delays.)

     It's not going well.  :-)

     I have added hosts allow with 192.168.1 and 192.168.2.  I have
experimented with a few things.  I have looked at
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=2556 and even read
something about making the network communication in Vista be LM as well as
NTLM...

     Okay, let me ask one basic question at a time.

     I "was thinking" that I didn't have to actually mount samba
(smbmount) in the past, back years ago when I used it with VMWare and
Windows 98.  (I was thinking that the smdb/nmdb daemons just did what was
needed.)

     I will be fine if I just am able to submit a print job from the
Windows/Vista to the Linux HP9110 printer.  I will be fine if I just
transfer any files, either direction, by accessing my host filesystem via
Explorer in Windows.  (This is how I did it, years ago, with Windows 98 in
VMWare.)

     I am thinking that I do NOT need to add to /etc/fstab, or smbmount
anything from the Linux side.  Do you agree?

     Barry