[Samba] Computers leaving samba domain

sgmayo at mail.bloomfield.k12.mo.us sgmayo at mail.bloomfield.k12.mo.us
Fri Oct 2 06:16:35 MDT 2009

Harry Jede wrote:

>> > No, Windows machines will change their password on a regulare time
>> > interval. I do not remember the exact days.
>> >
>> > You must allow them to change the password field an one other.
>> > Search this list or look into the good samba documentation :-)
>>
>> That is strange then.  I have software on my XP clients that will not
>> let anything get changed.  If there are changes made then once you
>> reboot the computer, it will be back to the way it was when you
>> started.  If the client is recording this change also then it would
>> not be saved on a reboot.
>>
>> I would think that was the problem, but I have had this software
>> running for a few years now and I have not had this problem before.

> You may apply a registry patch, so that the client will NOT change the
> machine password :-) , before you lock the client image.

Yes, that is what another pointed out to me.  I actually thought that I
had that patch applied (and did on all my other machines), but when I
started imaging this summer, I must have grabbed one of my old images that
did not have the patch.  I should have caught that, but did not.  I am
just thankful that someone pointed that out.

In case anyone sees this thread and is having an issue like this, here is
the registry entry.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netlogon\Parameters
add this new entry : DisablePasswordChange type boolean true

Thanks for the replies.

--
Scott Mayo - System Administrator
Bloomfield Schools

Question: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.
Answer: Why is putting a reply at the top of the message frowned upon?