[Samba] ? AD user autherntication ?

mistofeles ptmusta at utu.fi
Wed Nov 25 05:30:53 MST 2009

We have a small Ubuntu 9.10 file server in a large Win 2003/2008 domain.
There is no X nor web browser in the server.
I have rights to join machines to the domain, but I'm not an Administrator
There is about 10 users in this server, who want to authenticate with domain
passwords when they mount their home directories to WindowsXP workstations.
The ssh passwords should be local and separated from domain passwords.
The server should not try to play any master roles.
Just deliver directories to windows.

We have tried this for about a month and gone through many books, web pages
and forums.
After reading Samba documentation we don't even understand what programs we
need. in some documents we are told to use PAM, LDAP, krb or winbind. In
some documents you are advised NOT to use this if you are using that.  It is
a total chaos.

Is there any example of a working case like this ?
Is there any script which takes care of the configuration ?