[Samba] Samba 3/4 - Franky - AD

Jack Lau jackelectronics at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 22 09:43:46 MST 2009

Hello

I had exactly the same problem.

However, I downloaded and installed GIT (apt-get install git-core in Debian / Ubuntu).

I then did:
git clone git://git.samba.org/samba.git samba
cd samba
git checkout v3-5-stable
cd source3
./configure --enable-merged-build
make
make install

If you haven't already done so, you need lots of development libraries, for example http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/HOWTO/Ubuntu_Server_9.04 is a good source.
If you are getting messages saying that libraries are missing after the install, you may need to edit ld.so.conf and then run ldconfig.
You may also need to add /usr/local/samba/sbin and /usr/local/samba/bin to your path as well so that you don't have to cd into the directory or type it all out.

I am still yet to explore Samba 3.5 properly and haven't got past this stage yet.

Regards