[Samba] Logon script will not run in Samba 3.3.4 PDC

David Whitney soonerdew at gmail.com
Sat Nov 21 07:14:00 MST 2009

Greetings, all.

I have a Samba 3.3.4 PDC up and running on my small home network,
having migrated from an older 2.2.8 configuration. My XP Pro and Vista
clients have remained as members of this migrated domain, logging with
no problem. Client logins have worked precisely as expected. All seems
to be happy - with one exception.

My only problem, which I've spent the last two or three days Googling
and even trying to read through the Samba sources to resolve, is that
the logon script I have defined will not run. I even hardcoded the
script name to eliminate any issues arising from variable
substitution, to no avail, eg

[global]
..
..
logon script = logon.bat
..

The testparm file shows no errors in the configuration file.

I have researched this issue myself, and have seen various causes of
this problem. I have checked the following so far, but to no avail in
my circumstance:

* The path parameter of the [netlogon] service points to a directory
with r-x privs.
* The logon.bat file specified in the logon script parameter of
smb.conf has r-x privs.
* The file specified in the logon script parameter of smb.conf has
been created from a DOS-style client with CR/LF's.
* The batch file can be executed *manually* from any client after
logging in, and can even be opened in a tool like Notepad.
* The batch file's location is located in the directory indicated in
the [netlogon] path parameter.

The log files show absolutely no attempt to access the file. They do
show a (failed) attempt to access NTConfig.pol (which didn't exist),
and to that end I created a simple policy file and placed it in the
netlogon share. The logs confirm that the policy file is accessed.
(The Policy file defines only a machine policy not to check for slow
connections, because I had also read that a slow net connection check
would inhibit logon script execution). This made no difference,
either.

Despite my research, I'm sure I have overlooked something simple, and
I've just been staring at things so long I just can't see it. If
anyone could offer any suggestions, I'd be most appreciative. I'm
running Slackware 13.0, but compiled and installed Samba 3.3.4 in the
hopes of supporting future WIndows 7 clients, which other research has
said is the proper version of Samba for that goal. But that's a "next
step" in the process....

Many thanks in advance,
David