[Samba] autogen.sh failing over samba share

George Sapountzis gsapountzis at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 18:44:12 MST 2009

On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 11:45 AM, Volker Lendecke
<Volker.Lendecke at sernet.de> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 03:22:26AM +0200, George Sapountzis wrote:
>> - configure is not created with +x permission
>
> Could that be the "create mask" setting?

Yes, using 0744 (default value) for "create mask" sets the x bit for
configure bit. However, it also sets the x bit for all(?) new/modified
files. This creates other problems. For example the source code is in
a mercurial repo, so whenever I do an update/checkout, files are
checked out with the x bit set and mercurial spuriously thinks that
the files are modified.

So, I guess the question is how do I configure samba so that
permission bits from the client are set the same as if the operation
was performed at the server ?

>> - configure creates tmp dirs with self-pointing links that cannot be
>> removed on the samba share:
>>
>> rm: cannot remove directory `conf5057.dir': Directory not empty
>
> Don't know about that one. I think we'd need logs from the
> delete attempt of the symlink.

I attach the log file from the samba server with log level set to 10
for the following operations:

$ \rm conf6345.dir/conf6345.file
rm: cannot remove `conf6345.dir/conf6345.file': Not a directory
$ \rm -rf conf6345.dir/
rm: cannot remove directory `conf6345.dir': Directory not empty

thanks,
George