[Samba] NAS on 2 sites connected via slow link

Fri Nov 27 13:39:40 MST 2009

Well, magic would work ;-)

The only option you really have is to, in some way, shape or form, make sure there is no slow link anywhere between the client and the data. Whether that means moving the NAS device to the other site, or caching the data somewhere, is up to you.

> Maybe other solutions. It would be great if users authenticated at the
> main site over the slow link, but still be able to access resources local
> over the fast link.

That should work easily as long as all computers are part of the same domain. Windows domains would work better here than Samba domains, because Kerberos really works nicely as an authentication mechanism. But you should also be able to make it work with a Samba PDC.