[Samba] strange issue with xerox printer: unable to configure driver

Guillaume Rousse Guillaume.Rousse at inria.fr
Fri Nov 27 10:32:58 MST 2009

Hello list.

I've a strange issue with a samba 3.4.3 print server. Everything is fine
with most printers, meaning drivers are assigned on server side and
automatically distributed to the clients as expected. However, I fail to
configure a Xerox document center 7435 the same way.

When I attempt to assign a driver to the printer, from a windows client
with admin privileges,  I get an 'unexpected error occured in the print
driver, close this windows and retry' error message, twice. More
precisely, I can see initial renaming of the printer according to the
driver name, then the error occurs, then the printer get renamed to ''
(which is a bit painful :P)

I previously had a slightly different model (document center pro c2636)
which was working fine. The other working printers are not xerox ones.

The driver is OK: it works fine when accessing the printer directly, and
also when used from a windows print server. Also, I tried other variants
(such as PCL driver instead of PS one), without success.

When configuring the same printer from a Windows system, I had to
configure it with raw socket connection, because IPP connection didn't
allowed me to share it at all, and CIFS connection to the print queue
caused me some troubles (the printer didn't appeared in the 'fax and
printers list' of the server from remote hosts).

The underlying printing system, cups, works perfectly. I've tried to
switch from IPP to raw socket connection, because of the behaviour
changes found with windows server, it didn't change anything.

I performed a network capture both on server and client side while
triggering the error. The result is available as:
http://www.zarb.org/~guillomovitch/server.pcap
http://www.zarb.org/~guillomovitch/client.pcap

I can see some suspicious messages such as:
WINREG	OpenKey response, Error: WERR_BADFILE
SPOOLSS	GetPrinterData response, PrintProcCaps_NT EMF 1.008, File not
found (pathname error)
SPOOLSS	SetPrinterDataEx response, Access denied

But nothing really useful.

I'm joining my samba configuration file. I'm using mandriva 2009.0 as
server, and windows XP enterprise as client.

Any hint appreciated.
--
BOFH excuse #198:

Post-it Note Sludge leaked into the monitor.