[Samba] Problem deleting/renaming files

Jim lists at yggdrasill.net
Fri Nov 27 04:27:24 MST 2009

Hi - We have been using a samba configuration file similar to that
listed below for some years without issue. However when carrying it over
to a new server running Samba 3.4.0 (-3ubuntu5.1), we started
experiencing problems deleting files via Windows Explorer; attempts to
do so are resulting in 'Access is denied'. Similarly, attempting to
change the name of a file or directory is resulting in the same 'Access
is denied' message. There are otherwise no problems reading, creating,
or modifying files or directories.

I found that removing the 'force user' parameter appears to resolve the
issue. The only obvious difference that I saw while examining level 10
logs is that without 'force user' some of the file opens were shown as
performed by 'DOMAIN+user0', whereas with 'force user' they are shown as
being done by 'user0' (connections to the share are logged in through
the domain user0 account). I also found that changing the unix
permissions of the share directory from 755 to 775, while leaving 'force
user' as is, resolved the issue. However neither of these workarounds is
desirable for our current setup.

If anyone has any ideas on how I might solve or further diagnose this
problem, I would appreciate your input.

# getfacl data
# file: data
# owner: user0
# group: domain\040users
user::rwx
group::r-x
other::r-x

[global]
   workgroup = DOMAIN
   server string = svr2 (Samba %v)

   hosts allow = 10.

   interfaces = eth0 lo
   bind interfaces only = yes

   log level = 10
   log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
   max log size = 5000
   syslog = 0

   security = ads
   passdb backend = tdbsam
   realm = DOMAIN.COM

   preferred master = no

   encrypt passwords = yes

   template shell = /bin/bash
   template homedir = /home/%U

   winbind enum users = Yes
   winbind enum groups = Yes
   winbind use default domain = Yes
   winbind nested groups = Yes
   winbind separator = +

   allow trusted domains = No
   idmap backend = rid:DOMAIN=1000-20000
   idmap uid = 1000-21000
   idmap gid = 1000-21000

[data]
   comment = data (p)
   path = /mnt/data
   case sensitive = no
   follow symlinks = yes
   wide links = no
   read only = yes
   force user = DOMAIN+user0
   write list = DOMAIN+user0 DOMAIN+user1 DOMAIN+user2