[Samba] binaries >= 3.3.4 for fedora core 3

Moray Henderson Moray.Henderson at ict-software.org
Fri Nov 27 03:12:32 MST 2009

Jo wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I'm using Samba (currently samba-3.0.10-1.fc3) in an intranet
>environment under Fedora Core 3. I learned that I have to upgrade to
>Samba 3.3.4 or higher in order to join new Windows 7 clients to the
>domain.
>
>Hints to binaries for this setting would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Cheers, Jo

That's a pretty old Fedora you have there.  A friend recently had their
server severely compromised because it was running an old kernel: an
attacker got in to an ordinary user account with a bad password, then
used a kernel exploit (http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/18874/discuss)
to become root.

First I'd recommend you upgrade your OS.  Fedora 12 comes with Samba
3.4.2; SerNet produce Samba binaries for other major releases at
ftp://ftp.sernet.de/pub/samba/recent/.

Moray.
"To err is human.  To purr, feline"