[Samba] NAS on 2 sites connected via slow link

Koen Linders koen.linders at koca.be
Thu Nov 26 00:56:27 MST 2009

I hope I'm clear about what I try to do and what I hope would happen :)
I thought the data didn't had to be transferred over the link.

Lets say
Site A: PDC 192.168.1.2/24
Site B: NAS 192.168.5.2/24

I thought I could mount the NAS on a directory defined as share on the PDC.
And when mounted that when they log on to the PDC and copy/access the data
on the share (NAS) traffic stays local because it happens all in the same
subnet?
Accessing the data would be from Explorer in Windows XP SP3.

I'm probably wrong reading your reaction. So maybe I'm better off installing
a 2d server on site B?