[Samba] NAS on 2 sites connected via slow link

Thu Nov 26 00:40:44 MST 2009

Seems like a nightmare in the making... Basically, no matter what you do, the data has to be transferred.

How are users going to access the files on site B? If it is through a Web browser, then a caching proxy in Site A might be your best answer.

Your best option might be to cache the files on Site A, and use rsync to copy them to/from site B. If the NAS doesn't support rsync, look into FTP - it's probably the fastest data transfer protocol around.

Don't use NFS over slow links. It's one of the weaknesses of NFS.