[Samba] Moving a PDC

Wed Nov 25 07:16:44 MST 2009

> We're running a Debian Etch Server with Samba 3.0.24 as primary domain
> controller for a XP dominated network. For various reasons, we're
> migrating our server to a new machine running on Centos 5.4 (and Samba
> 3.0.33). Additionally, I decided to get rid of our messy LDAP setup,
> as it is quite a pain to use and IMHO overkill for our small software
> shop (~15 machines / users), so I've set up the new system to work
> with tdbsam instead.

Wouldn't it be easier to simply convert your existing server from ldap
to tdbsam, then you can just set up the new server with the SAME domain
name, copy everything over to the new server, and flip a switch over the
weekend and noone would no the difference?

I wouldn't be able to tell you how to do the above, but if memory
serves, I've seen mention of it and I don't think its difficult to do...

--

Best regards,

Charles