[Samba] Windows 7 domain issues

Alex Ferrara alex at receptiveit.com.au
Tue Nov 24 21:32:34 MST 2009

I am running Windows 7 Professionaly 64-bit with domain membership to a Samba domain. I have noticed some weird behaviour.

1) For some reason, dhcp3-server does not add the forward dns entry into bind9. This works perfectly with Windows 7 if it is not a domain member, or other operating systems (XP, OS/X and Linux). I know this isn't specifically a Samba issue, but I thought I should mention it.

2) Strange entries in log files. Authentication for user [AC2161$] -> [AC2161$] FAILED with error NT_STATUS_PASSWORD_EXPIRED. I did run the Windows 7 64bit RC and after about 1 month, the trust relationship broke down and I would have to re-join the domain to make it work again. This could be related.

3) Password issues. I use a LDAP backend, and use LAM to manage the directory. If I set a password in LAM, it generates the UNIX and SMB passwords, and then stores them in LDAP. This works perfectly for XP but not for Windows 7. Logons persist to use the old password, and I have a feeling that the password being used is a cached password.

Has anyone seen similar issues?

aF