[Samba] Deletion of directory symlink via Samba deletes files in original subdirectory on Unix

Andy Liebman andyliebman at aol.com
Tue Nov 24 18:45:56 MST 2009

Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 04:24:13PM -0800, Kathy wrote:
>
>> Hello --
>>
>> We have a Solaris 10 ZFS server running Samba with "follow
>> symlinks=yes" set.  We're noticing that if you delete (via Samba) a
>> file that is a symbolic link pointing to a subdirectory somewhere,
>> with files in that subdir, it will not only delete the symbolic link
>> file, but also delete the files in the target subdirectory.  On Unix,
>> if you delete a symbolic link, it will leave the original target
>> subdir (and its files) untouched.  This behavior only seems to happen
>> if the symlink is pointing to a populated subdirectory.  If you have a
>> symlink that points to a file and delete the symlink via Samba, the
>> original file remains intact.  Does anyone know of a way to get around
>> this particular behavior?  We would like it to behave as in Unix.
>> Only the symlink gets deleted and not the subdir/files it was pointing
>> at.
>>

> What version of Samba ?
>
> Jeremy

This sounds a bit like the problem we (EditShare) discovered and that
you patched a few years ago-- in the 3.0.14 days I think.  Remember...
We discovered a sort of delayed reaction.  If you deleted a symlink to a
file that some other user had open, when both users finally closed the
file the FILE would get deleted rather than the SYMLINK.

Could it be related?

Andy Liebman