[Samba] Deletion of directory symlink via Samba deletes files in original subdirectory on Unix

Kathy banshee135 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 17:24:13 MST 2009

Hello --

We have a Solaris 10 ZFS server running Samba with "follow
symlinks=yes" set.  We're noticing that if you delete (via Samba) a
file that is a symbolic link pointing to a subdirectory somewhere,
with files in that subdir, it will not only delete the symbolic link
file, but also delete the files in the target subdirectory.  On Unix,
if you delete a symbolic link, it will leave the original target
subdir (and its files) untouched.  This behavior only seems to happen
if the symlink is pointing to a populated subdirectory.  If you have a
symlink that points to a file and delete the symlink via Samba, the
original file remains intact.  Does anyone know of a way to get around
this particular behavior?  We would like it to behave as in Unix.
Only the symlink gets deleted and not the subdir/files it was pointing
at.

Thanks for the help  --

Kathy