[Samba] migrating NT4 PDC net rpc vampire errors with capital letters

Ryan Davis rrdavis at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 17:09:24 MST 2009

Hi,

I have searched for days on Google and can't find a clear answer to my
question.  I have a  NT4 PDC which I am migrating to Samba 3 (Version
3.4.2-47.fc12) on FC12 with kernel(2.6.31.5-127.fc12.i686).  I am using
tdbsam as my passdb backend.

I setup Samba as a BDC and then joined to NT4 Domain succesfully.  When I go
to vampire the accounts I get lots of errors and some user accounts get
transfered over.  It turns that all the user accounts that transfer are
those that don't have a capital letter in their username on the NT4 domain
server.  Most do and don't get transfered.  There seems to be errors with my
groups and Computer accounts.  I was able in the past to vampire all the
accounts (even capital letters) so any ideas would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Here is a type of error I get:

Creating account: Ryan
useradd: invalid user name 'Ryan'
fetch_account: Running the command `/usr/sbin/useradd -m 'Ryan'' gave 3
Could not create posix account info for 'Ryan'

I get this error for groups:

Creating unix group: 'SophosDomainPowerUser'
groupadd: 'SophosDomainPowerUser' is not a valid group name
smb_create_group: Running the command `/usr/sbin/groupadd
'SophosDomainPowerUser'' gave 3

and for Computer names:
Creating account: LIMS1$
useradd: invalid user name 'LIMS1$'
fetch_account: Running the command `/usr/sbin/useradd -s /bin/false -d
/dev/null 'LIMS1$'' gave 3

Here is my smb.conf

[global]
     workgroup = GENOME1
     netbios name = HERCULES
     passdb backend = tdbsam
     domain master = No
     domain logons = Yes
     os level = 40
     add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd "%u" -n -g users
     delete user script = /usr/sbin/userdel "%u"
     add group script = /usr/sbin/groupadd "%g"
     delete group script = /usr/sbin/groupdel "%g"
     add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -n -c "Workstation (%u)" -M -d
/nohome -s /bin/false "%u"
#     username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
     logon path =
     logon home =
#     wins support = yes

[files]