[Samba] Fwd: Vista laptop in Samba 3.3.4 domain suddenly trying to use roaming profiles?

David Whitney soonerdew at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 14:27:41 MST 2009

 Hi, and thanks for your interest!

I am still using an smbpasswd backend because this is a very small home
network I maintain for my own educational purposes, although I might migrate
to LDAP at some point for the same reason.

I have manually changed the troublesome profile type from roaming to local,
but when I logged back in from that same profile, it switched back to
roaming! The more I read about this bizarre behavior, the more I start to
suspect the possibility of malware or virus, which is what I plan to
investigate tonight.

As far as the logon scripts go, the irony is that the script actually fired
from my admin-prived logon, but could not access/load the "right" profile
from the local box. They still don't fire from my desktop boxes. Per your
question, I can access and execute the scripts from the desktop with no
problem. Per other sources, it appears that the necessary privs to the
netlogon directory should be 755, (rwxr-xr-x), which is what I have set and
verified.

Again, many thanks for your interest and suggestions.