[Samba] FreeBSD 7.2 domain member problem - partially SOLVED

Ivo Karabojkov ivo at kit-bg.com
Sun Nov 22 11:01:56 MST 2009

So I kept "hitting my head in the wall" and here is my partial but satisfying
solution:

I was totally unable to get idmap_rid working! So I am using the default
IDMAP backend - tdb.
The problem with not working pw user / group show -a or getent passwd /
group was that nss_winbind.so was not where it supposed to. To correct this
I used:

ln -s /usr/local/lib/nss_winbind.so.1 /usr/lib/
ln -s /usr/local/lib/nss_winbind.so.1 /usr/lib/nss_winbind.so.2

Now all my users and groups are visible with pw or getent!
rid backend would give predictable sid <-> uid/gid mapping, with this
solution mapping changes every time server is joined to AD domain. But I
failed setting it up - it seems idmap_rid does not map anything...

If someone may help with better solution I will be grateful.