[Samba] Desiring to set up Windows Vista and Linux Fedora Core 4

Barry L. Bond bbond at cfl.rr.com
Fri Nov 20 23:55:52 MST 2009

Eero and others, I've already emailed this to Michael Wood:

> Most likely your D-Link router has a built in 4 port switch and does
> not control access between these 4 ports, so I doubt you need to do
> anything on the D-Link router.

     Okay.  I am now thinking it may be routing on the Windows box, so I
will next put my focus/attention more to that.

> >     For example, I have a GadSpot DVR set up, with the two ports mapped.  For
> > example, one port is 8080, so I have:
> [...]
>
> My understanding is that this is to allow you to connect to your DVR
> from the Internet.  So unless you want to connect to Samba from the
> Internet, I very much doubt you need to configure anything on the
> D-Link router.

     Ah!  Yes!  That must be why!  Yes, so I could connect to the DVR from
the Internet side!  I may have just a "smidgen" of an understanding here!
:-)

     Okay!  Thank you!  Correct.  I most certainly do NOT want to connect
to Samba from the Internet!  :-)

> First make sure you can ping the Ultra 30 from the Windows box and
> vice versa.  Then make sure you can ping the Linux box from the Ultra
> 30 and vice versa.  Then make sure you can ping the Linux box from the
> Window box and vice versa.

     In the Windows command prompt, I type:

<<>>
C:\Users\Barry L. Bond>ping 192.168.1.201

Pinging 192.168.1.201 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1.201: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=255
Reply from 192.168.1.201: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=255

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.201:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 <0% loss>,
<<>>

     So, it looks like pinging the Sun/Ultra 30 from the Windows is
working.

     However, when I try to ping the Office-Windows computer from the Sun
computer, it doesn't work:

<<>>
bash-2.03# ping 192.168.1.102
no answer from 192.168.1.102
<<>>

     Once again, pinging 192.168.2.1 (the Linux system) from the Windows
fails.  Pinging 192.168.1.102 (the Windows system) from the Linux system
fails.

     Pinging the Linux box from the sun works.  Pinging from the Linux box
to the Sun IP addresses -- both of them -- works.

> For the above to work, you may have to disable firewalls on the
> Windows box, the Linux box and the Ultra 30.  Of course you could also
> allow the necessary things in the firewalls instead of disabling them.

     I've indicated by now, I don't have any firewalls in use at all
except the D-Link router, which is also a firewall between my local
systems and the Internet side.

> Also, the Ultra 30 must be configured to route traffic between its
> interfaces.  If you can connect to the Internet from the Linux box
> then this should be OK.

     I believe this is okay.

> I think you should configure the Windows box to use the Linux box as a
> WINS server after making sure that your smb.conf file has "wins
> support = yes" in the global section.

     Okay... I'll keep this in mind, after I figure out how to
successfully ping the Linux system from Windows system (and vice versa),
if you still think it's a good idea.  :-)

> I hope this gets you a bit further.

     Well, I have -- with your help -- figured out that I don't need to
set the ports in the Advanced portion of my D-Link router, because I don't
want to access Samba from the Internet.  :-)  You're helping, Michael!

     Thank you!  :-)

     Barry

--
Barry L. Bond                      | http://home.roadrunner.com/~os9barry
Software Engineer, ITT Corporation | (My personal home web page, last

bbond @ cfl.rr.com <- personal     |  Re-Vita Products:
Barry.Bond @ ITT.com <- Work ONLY  |  http://www.re-vita.net/barrybond
                                   |  Re-Vita Distributor Information
Home office:  407-382-2815         |  http://www.re-vita.net/barrybond-2
Work:         321-494-5627 (Work)  |  Toll free order:  1-888-820-5531