[Samba] Question about Posix Locking and Windows XP/SP3 clients

Ray Van Dolson rvandolson at esri.com
Thu Nov 19 10:53:36 MST 2009

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 09:50:16AM -0800, John_DeBella at notes.teradyne.com wrote:
> Thanks again for the reply Ray.
>
> We are running a current version on the Netapp side and from what I can
> tell, there is no tweaking we can do there. I'm looking into this with
> RedHat and thus far they have not implicated the NFS client, but rather
> how XP/SP3 is handling the locks, (of course they would - right?)..
>
> We can readily reproduce this so your suggestion of doing a pkt capture
> is do-able.
>
> If you don't mind answering one more question: Have you experienced any
> issues with data integrity after disabling posix locking in your site? I
> think I understand that you have a similar config and have disabled
> this.
>
> Thanks,
> -John

We've only disabled it on a per-share basis (we have several hundred
NFS servers we connect to, and only have had this issue on a few of
them).

To my knowledge we haven't had any integrity issues.

That said, our workload is likely different than yours.. we have
probably only a small number of developers hitting those shares, so I
can't predict how the results would change if they were more heavily
used.

Ray