[Samba] Samba + LDAP: Changing user's group

davefu davefury at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 05:28:35 MST 2009

Hello fellas. I'm facing this problem today:

My Samba PDC is using LDAP as a backend, and its working really good. The
problem comes when I change the groups on one of the users. System shows the
change correctly by using 'getent group' and if I log as that user the
behavior correct when trying the new group permissions.

Samba, however, doesn't seem to get those changes immediately (it syncs
hours later, totally random amount of time). I've tried disabling NSCD but
no luck. I've read somewhere that restarting Samba service forces Samba to
refresh the users credentials, but thats not possible to do everytime a user
needs a change in his groups. I'm wondering if there is some way to refresh
Samba cached credentials.

Has anyone experienced this before?

P.D: Where is Samba caching the users information/credentials/password/etc
anyway?