[Samba] Samba 3.4.2 with Solaris ZFS Snaphots

Jean-Jacques Moulis jj at isy.liu.se
Wed Nov 18 08:55:55 MST 2009

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 11:35:49 +0100 Jean-Christophe Delaye <Jean-Christophe.Delaye at eurecom.fr> wrote:

JCD> Hi,
JCD> I'm trying to make samba working with Solaris ZFS Snaphots.

JCD> Solaris 10 is running on a x64/X86 box which is both Samba (3.4.2)
JCD> server and Zfs server.
JCD> I created home/delaye filesystem with home zfs pool.
JCD> Can anyone help to troubleshoot this? Does anybody have a running setup
JCD> for Solaris zfs snapshots ?

We are extensively using ZFS snapshots with samba, it works like a charm.

We use the patches from http://www.edplese.com/samba-with-zfs.html
this give us freedom in naming convention
they still can be applied (manuallly) to samba-3.4.x/source3/modules/vfs_shadow_copy.c

[homes]
        comment = Home directories
        browseable = no
        public = no
        read only = no
        inherit permissions = yes
        delete readonly = yes
        map archive = no
        map readonly = no
#       vfsobject = shadow_copy, zfsacl
        vfsobject = shadow_copy
        shadow_copy: sort = desc
        shadow_copy: path = .zfs/snapshot
        shadow_copy: format = $Y-$m-$d
        hide files  = /?esktop.ini/*utloo*.lnk/*Briefcase*/*RECYCLE*/

--
Jean-Jacques   Moulis                              Tel:  (013) 281684
ISY                                                Fax:  (013) 139282
Linköping University                            E-mail: jj at isy.liu.se
581 83 Linköping