[Samba] Wins, browsing, browse.dat and wins.dat

ZeWaren / Erwan Martin main at zewaren.net
Mon Nov 16 10:14:17 MST 2009

I had the same problem. To get the computers from a subnet to show in
browse.dat, you must have a samba configured as local master in that
subnet, so that it manages and relays to the domain master the list of
computers of the subnet.
If you are in workgroup and not in a domain, the windows computers won't
synchronize their lists by themselves.

And since I couldn't have samba installed in all my subnets, I had to
manually synchronize browse.dat with wins.dat (It's a bit ugly but it
works fine).

Erwan.

--
Erwan MARTIN / ZeWaren
IRL:  ARPEJ Lgt 453G, 1360 rte de Ste Anne,
80:   http://zewaren.net       25:  public at fzwte.net
5222: zewaren at rezid.org        1863:  main at fzwte.net