[Samba] Problem with Samba 3.4.3 - previous 3.3.x worked fine

Karl Denninger karl at denninger.net
Sat Nov 14 10:51:42 MST 2009

The explicit declaration of the passdb back end fixed the authentication
problem, but the printer connection issue remains.

I get NOTHING in the log files indicating a problem.  Here's what
"testparm" returns:

FS# ./testparm
Load smb config files from /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf
Processing section "[homes]"
Processing section "[printers]"
Processing section "[faxserver]"
Processing section "[pics]"
Processing section "[Music]"
Processing section "[Archive]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE

[global]
        workgroup = DENNINGER
        server string = Denninger FileServer
        interfaces = 192.168.1.0/24
        passdb backend = smbpasswd
        log file = /var/log/log.%m
        max log size = 50
        deadtime = 15
        logon path = \\%L\Profiles\%U
        logon drive = Z:
        logon home = \\%L\%U
        os level = 35
        preferred master = Yes
        domain master = Yes
        dns proxy = No
        wins support = Yes
        ldap ssl = no
        remote announce = 192.168.1.255
        invalid users = root
        hosts allow = 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0, 127.
        printing = bsd
        print command = lpr -r -P'%p' %s
        lpq command = lpq -P'%p'
        lprm command = lprm -P'%p' %j

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        read only = No
        browseable = No
        browsable = No

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /disk/spool/samba
        printable = Yes
        browseable = No
        browsable = No

[faxserver]
        comment = Fax Server Files
        path = /disk/system
        valid users = karl
        read only = No
        create mask = 0765

[pics]
        comment = Picture files
        path = /pics
        valid users = karl
        read only = No
        create mask = 0765

[Music]
        comment = Music
        path = /archive/CD-Jukebox
        write list = @music-write
        read only = No

[Archive]
        comment = Archive
        path = /archive
        valid users = karl
        read only = No

I am running as a "workgroup" as the domain overhead doesn't appear to
be worthwhile in my application.

Unix printing works, and so does printing from Windows XP clients
(including "adding" the printers on the network to a windows machine as
a network printer.)  I have no VISTA clients, but the Windows 7 machines
cannot connect to printers - they connect to file shares just fine.