[Samba] Cannot browse the network on a multiple vlan configuration.

ZeWaren / Erwan Martin main at zewaren.net
Thu Nov 12 14:39:28 MST 2009

Hello everyone.
I'm trying to set a up a wins and a browser on my residential student network.
The network and my current configuration is as follow:

#Network
#                           .---------------.
#                           | Samba Server  |
#     ***************       |---------------|
######* Server VLAN *<------| WINS          |
#     ***************       | Domain Master |
#            ^              | Local Master  |
#            |              '---------------'
#            |              .---------------------.
#            '--------------| [Another 3 servers] |
#                           '---------------------'
#
#                           .------------------.
#     **********            | Desktop Computer |
######* VLAN 1 *<-----------|------------------|
#     **********            | Windows Vista    |
#          ^                '------------------'
#          |                .------------------.
#          |                | Laptop  Computer |
#          '----------------|------------------|
#                           | Windows XP       |
#                           '------------------'
#
#     [About 300 more similar VLANs]
#
#
#                           .------------------.
#     ************          | Desktop Computer |
######* VLAN 300 *<---------|------------------|
#     ************          | Windows Seven    |
#                           '------------------'
#
#
#
#  This VLAN is for test purposes
#                           .------------------.
#     **********            | Desktop Computer |
######* VLAN X *<-----------|------------------|
#     **********            | Windows Vista    |
#          ^                '------------------'
#          |                .------------------.
#          |                | Desktop Computer |
#          |----------------|------------------|
#          |                | Windows XP       |
#          |                '------------------'
#          |                .---------------------.
#          |                |  Desktop Computer   |
#          |                |---------------------|
#          '----------------| Ubuntu              |
#                           | Samba, Local Master |
                            '---------------------'

Each vlan is under a different subnet 10.x.y.0/24. No one can broadcast anything across vlans but any ip can connect to any other ip using its vlan gateway (10.x.y.254).
In each vlan there can be any OS, but 95% of them only contains Windows Computers (XP, Vista, Seven). The wins server is set to every computer using DHCP.
Name resolution is working fine.

My problem is that I want the samba server in "Server VLAN" to be the master browser, so that it serves a list of every computer on the network that anyone could see using "list workgroup computers" on windowses or "smbtree" on linuxes.
All the computers are interogating this server to get that list (I added entries to browse.dat to be sure), but they can only see the computers inside the Server VLAN.

I read in BROWSING.txt that there should be elections on all the subnets to find the local master, and that the winner is then supposed to share its list with the domain browser, but I don't see that happening.
When a windows becomes local master, is only serves the list of computers of its vlan.

If I manually add another samba inside a subnet (VLAN X) and that I configure it to be the local master, the magic is working, and everyone can see both the computers from "Server VLAN" and "VLAN X".

The samba acting as domain master is configured as follow:

workgroup = WORKGROUP
wins support = yes
prefered master = yes
local master = yes
domain master = yes
os level = 65

interfaces = lo eth1:1 127.0.0.1/8 10.0.9.65/8
bind interfaces only = yes

The test samba acting as a local master is as follow:

workgroup = WORKGROUP
wins support = no
prefered master = yes
local master = yes
domain master = no
os level = 64

The windows computers don't have any special configuration on them.

Does anyone have any idea what I should change to be able to get a complete list?
It is impossible for me to add a "local master samba" (like I did on my test vlan) on each subnet.

Thank you for any answers.

--
Erwan MARTIN / ZeWaren
IRL:  ARPEJ Lgt 453G, 1360 rte de Ste Anne,
80:   http://zewaren.net       25:  public at fzwte.net
5222: zewaren at rezid.org        1863:  main at fzwte.net