[Samba] Not updating group member changes to win clients

Fernando Torrez fernando_torrez at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 11 16:24:38 MST 2009

Hi Everyone

I installed a samba PDC on opensuse 11.1 with:

samba-winbind-3.4.2-2.1
samba-client-3.4.2-2.1
samba-3.4.2-2.1
openldap2-2.4.12-5.5.1
openldap2-client-2.4.12-5.3
perl-ldap-0.39-14.1
nss_ldap-262-10.12
smbldap-tools-0.9.5-3.1
pam_ldap-184-144.12

It runs perfectly with win xp professional and vista business domain clients.
The problem is that when I update any member of a certain domain group (let say by adding or
removing a user from a group) on samba PDC; these changes don't update
on win clients until samba and winbind services are restarted.

For instance let say that group: grupo3 (which has user: usuario3 as member) have full
control on this shared directory:

        //bar/Documents             (on linux domain server)

when I tried to access from linux using user: Fernando2
I got expected results:

        bar:/data # smbclient //bar/Documents -U Fernando2%fernando2
        Domain=[FOOBAR] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.4.2-2.1-2229-SUSE-CODE11]
        tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

Same results if I tried to access from Fernando2 winxp joined to the domain.
All these results are right.

But problems comes when I include user: Fernando2 to group: grupo3 so
group3 now has 2 members: usuario3  and  Fernando2