[Samba] idmap_rid/idmap_hash collisions?

Wed Nov 11 02:37:20 MST 2009

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 06:34:13PM -0800, Nick wrote:
> Is it possible for the uid/gid numbers that are generated by the
> idmap_rid and idmap_hash to collide if there are a large number of
> users or groups?  I cannot seem to find any documentation on the
> limitations of these plugins.  Before using I want to make absolutely
> sure that there won't be any collisions.

With idmap_rid you have to take care of splicing up the rid
space yourself. If you don't do that according to your
domains, you get overlap. idmap_hash indeed will generate
collisions if you have more than 2^19 (524287) object in a
domain.

> I was somehow thinking that Likewise is based on Samba, although I
> don't remember where I heard that so it could be total BS.

Likewise used to be based on Samba. It is not anymore.

Please contact Likewise themselves for questions about their
product.

Volker