[Samba] samba and ads authentication

Michael Wood esiotrot at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 23:41:24 MST 2009

2009/11/10 Tom Montague <tom.montague at thegriffingroup.com.au>:
> Hi Michael,
>
> I am running solaris 9.
>
> I do have Kerberos installed as I can run kinit <username>@domain
> successfully I just don't know where it is installed. I have searched

OK, but that just proves you have enough of it installed to be able to
*use* it.  Not necessarily enough to be able to compile something that
needs it.  For that you need the header files and development
libraries.

What does "which kinit" give you?

> for the file krb5.h and also for the Kerberos library file libkrb5.so
> and found them in the directories below. Is there a way to check how

libkrb5.so would be used at runtime.  For compiling you would need
something like libkrb5.a, but since you have the header file (krb5.h)
you should have the development library too.

> Kerberos is installed and where the current library files are? Maybe I
> am running the configure command wrong?

> How do I check if I have Kerberos development package installed for
> solaris?

It looks like you do.  It's also possible that Solaris does not split
them up like most Linux distributions do.

> I have tried all the directories below ...
>
> Directories containg the file libkrb5.so
>
> /home1/admin/krb5-1.6/src/lib/krb5/libkrb5.so
> /home1/admin/krb5-1.6/src/lib/libkrb5.so
>
> Directories containing a krb5.h file
>
> /home1/admin/krb5-1.6/src/include/krb5.h
> /home1/admin/krb5-1.6/src/include/krb5/krb5.h
>
> Directories that have a reference of krb5
>
> /var/krb5
> /usr/lib/krb5
> /etc/krb5
> /opt/dcelocal/krb5
> /home1/admin/krb5-1.6/src/include/krb5
> /home1/admin/krb5-1.6/src/windows/identity/plugins/krb5
> /home1/admin/krb5-1.6/src/lib/gssapi/krb5
> /home1/admin/krb5-1.6/src/lib/krb5
> /prod/opt/dcelocal/krb5
> /krb5

It looks like you've compiled it yourself.  I would have thought Solaris
9 would come with a version you could just install, but perhaps it's too
old.  I don't know.  It also looks like you might have several copies of
it installed in at least /opt/dcelocal/krb5, /prod/opt/dcelocal/krb5 and
krb5.

The files in /home1/admin/... are probably not installed there, but
that's just where Kerberos (at least one instance of it) was compiled.
So that's probably not where you want configure to look.

Do you have krb5.h and something like libkrb5.a anywhere else?

--
Michael Wood <esiotrot at gmail.com>