[Samba] Desiring to set up Windows Vista and Linux Fedora Core 4

Barry L. Bond bbond at cfl.rr.com
Fri Nov 6 22:02:18 MST 2009

Hi Michael and everyone else!

> Something else you might like to try is backing up your smb.conf file
> and starting very simply based on this:
>
> http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/FastStart.html#id2554870

     Here is my latest attempt at an smb.conf file, set up almost exactly as in
this web page, and I have since added just a couple of things:

<<>>
# Global parameters
[global]
   workgroup = WORKGROUP
   netbios name = BARRYCON
   interfaces = eth0
	hosts allow = 192.168.1. 192.168.2. 127.
   security = share
	printcap name = cups
   disable spoolss = Yes
   show add printer wizard = No
   printing = cups

[printers]
	comment = All Printers
	path = /var/spool/samba
   guest ok = Yes
	printable = Yes
   use client driver = Yes
	browseable = No
<<>>

     I don't think I'm communicating at all between the Windows Vista system
and the Linux system.

     I think I need to set up something in my Advanced portion of my D-Link
router.

     For example, I have a GadSpot DVR set up, with the two ports mapped.  For
example, one port is 8080, so I have:

<<>>
192.168.1.101 Public/private 8080 Schedule Always.
<<>>

     (I have the other port on another line with an address of 192.168.1.101,
which is the address of the DVR.)

     I have the following typed in later lines of my Advanced Virtual Servers

<<>>
Office-Windows, 192.168.1.102
Barrycon, 192.168.2.1
<<>>

     What port(s) should I allow for Samba?

     The D-Link router allows "mapping" of two port numbers between the Windows
computer and the DVR.  I think I need something similar here.

     The Windows Vista has a hard-coded IP of 192.168.1.102 and the Linux
system has a hard-coded IP of 192.168.2.1.

     If anyone can offer any suggestions, I would appreciate it.  Thank you!
     Barry

--
Barry L. Bond                      | http://home.roadrunner.com/~os9barry
Software Engineer, ITT Corporation | (My personal home web page, last

bbond @ cfl.rr.com <- personal     |  Re-Vita Products:
Barry.Bond @ ITT.com <- Work ONLY  |  http://www.re-vita.net/barrybond
                                   |  Re-Vita Distributor Information
Home office:  407-382-2815         |  http://www.re-vita.net/barrybond-2
Work:         321-494-5627 (Work)  |  Toll free order:  1-888-820-5531