[Samba] Phantom sharename

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Fri Nov 6 21:04:38 MST 2009

On 11/06/2009 09:49 PM, Mike.Jeays at rogers.com wrote:
> [...]
>>> ;   logon script = logon.cmd
>>> ; add user script = /usr/sbin/adduser --quiet --disabled-password --gecos
>>> ""
>>> %u
>>>    printing = bsd
>>>    printcap name = /etc/printcap
>>> ;   printing = cups
>>> ;   printcap name = cups
>>> ;   include = /home/samba/etc/smb.conf.%m
>>> ;   message command = /bin/sh -c '/usr/bin/linpopup "%f" "%m" %s; rm %s'
>>> &
>>> ;   idmap uid = 10000-20000
>>> ;   idmap gid = 10000-20000
>>> ;   template shell = /bin/bash
>>> ;   winbind enum groups = yes
>>> ;   winbind enum users = yes
>>> ;   usershare max shares = 100
>>>  [homes]
>>>     comment = Home Directories
>>>     browseable = yes
>>>     writeable = yes
>>>    read only = no
>>>    create mask = 0755
>>>    directory mask = 0775
>>> ;   valid users = %S
>>>  [netlogon]
>>>     comment = Network Logon Service
>>>     path = /home/samba/netlogon
>>>     guest ok = yes
>>>     read only = yes
>>>     share modes = no
>>> [profiles]
>>>    comment = Users profiles
>>>    path = /home/samba/profiles
>>>    guest ok = no
>>>    browseable = no
>>>    create mask = 0600
>>>    directory mask = 0700
>>> [printers]
>>>    comment = All Printers
>>>    browseable = no
>>>    path = /var/spool/samba
>>>    printable = yes
>>>    guest ok =  yes
>>>    read only = yes
>>>    create mask = 0700
>>> [print$]
>>>    comment = Printer Drivers
>>>    path = /var/lib/samba/printers
>>>    browseable = yes
>>>    read only = yes
>>>    guest ok = no
>>> ;[cdrom]
>>> ;   comment = Samba server's CD-ROM
>>> ;   read only = yes
>>> ;   locking = no
>>> ;   path = /cdrom
>>> ;   guest ok = yes
>>> ;   preexec = /bin/mount /cdrom
>>> ;   postexec = /bin/umount /cdrom
>>> napoleon 528 ~ $
>>>

>> Please send us the output of:
>>     testparm -sv
>>
>> Not what you *think* your smb.conf file is.  Testparm will report the
>> true contents of smb.conf as Samba sees it.
>>
>> - John T.
>> --
>>

> Quoted from:
> http://old.nabble.com/Phantom-sharename-tp26208554p26209131.html
>
> I posted a reply with the output from testparms as requested - it still gives me no clue as to where the sharename 'l' came from. I would really appreciate it if you could spare a few minutes to look.  Thanks in advance!

I should not have asked you to include the "-v" option.  In any case,
your smb.conf file distills down to the following (using testparm -s):

[global]
        netbios name = NAPOLEON
        server string = %h server (Samba, Ubuntu)
        map to guest = Bad User
        obey pam restrictions = Yes
        pam password change = Yes
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
        username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
        unix password sync = Yes
        syslog = 0
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 1000
        max open files = 10000
        printcap name = /etc/printcap
        domain logons = Yes
        dns proxy = No
        usershare max shares = 100
        printing = bsd
        print command = lpr -r -P'%p' %s
        lpq command = lpq -P'%p'
        lprm command = lprm -P'%p' %j

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        read only = No
        create mask = 0755
        directory mask = 0775

[netlogon]
        comment = Network Logon Service
        path = /home/samba/netlogon
        guest ok = Yes
        share modes = No

[profiles]
        comment = Users profiles
        path = /home/samba/profiles
        create mask = 0600
        directory mask = 0700
        browseable = No
        browsable = No

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba
        create mask = 0700
        guest ok = Yes
        printable = Yes
        browseable = No
        browsable = No

[print$]
        comment = Printer Drivers
        path = /var/lib/samba/printers

As you can see, there is no share called "l" in the smb.conf file.
Suggest you execute "smbd -b" to see where the currently active instance
of smbd is getting its smb.conf file from.  Also, check if you have an
smb.conf file in "cd ~mike/.smb/"

I agree it has to be coming from somewhere, and if your smb.conf file is
not it, then the hunt is on.

- John T.